Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Australia - Part 2

We left Adrian & Margaret near Rockhampton, and from there we drove to Airlie Beach, near the Whitsunday Islands.

Along the way, we stopped at a small town called Marlboro for Aussie burgers and Sarsparilla. I had told Roni how Australians made hamburgers, but we had not had a chance to try one until then. Some of the differences is that they put cucumber and beetroots and carmalized onions on their burgers. I was never crazy about the beets, but Roni loved them. We also had Sarsparilla, one of my favourite drinks when I lived there.

One day at Airlie Beach, we took a boat tour out to sea part of the Great Barrier Reef and the Whitsunday Islands. I had never seen them before, so it was a new adventure for me as well. The Whitsunday Islands are a national preserve, so most of the beaches and islands are uninhabited. Roni got to do some snorkeling while I took the opportunity to relax on the boat.

The second day we were there, our trip to the outer reef was cancelled so we took the opportunity to relax and see some of the town.

From our lodging, we saw Cockatoos flyinf around in the wild. From there, we headed to Charters Towers.

No comments:

Post a Comment