Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Australia - Part 1

As you may know, last month, Roni and I spent two weeks in Australia. I used to live there from 1973 to 1978, and spent my entire high school years there.

We arrived in Brisbane, where we met and spent the first 5 days with Adrian and Margaret. Adrian was my best friend in Margate. As a matter of fact, one of the reasons I did so poorly in grade 12 is because Adrian and I would often leave school after lunch and go hang out at his house, or down by the beach. For my parents sake, I am saying that it was always Adrian's idea (sorry Adrian.) :-)

One of the amazing things is that after 30-some years, when we met again, it was like we had continued to be mates the entire time, and I remembered why I always liked hanging out with him. Adrian and Margaret showed us a great time and were fantastic tour guides. Even though Roni had never met them before, all four of us got along so well it was as if we knew each other our entire lives. We are hoping that someday soon they will come visit us in New York so we can show them American hospitality.

Some of the highlights of hanging with Adrian & Margaret is visiting the Australia Zoo, started by Steve (Crikey!) Irwin. Seeing the Glass House Mountains. Camping at Borumba Dam. Driving along deserted beaches for miles and miles. And I mean literally driving ON the beach! And getting together with friends from high school and the church we used to go when we lived there in the mid 70s. We also had meat pies and introduced Roni to Tim Tams, Lamingtons and ANZAC biscuits.

Thank you Adrian and Margaret for making our trip even more special.

No comments:

Post a Comment