Thursday, October 07, 2010

"You Beat This!"

Now before you all get excited from the title of this post and think that the cancer is gone -- it isn't -- let me tell you why my oncologist told me that the cancer didn't beat me, but that in fact, I beat it.

Those who have been following my blog for awhile will know that part of my original diagnosis is what is referred to as "Signet Ring Cells." It is important to know this because some of the doctors that we have met did not believe us when we told them I had Signet Ring Cells (SRC). One doctor said I probably misunderstood, because if the Oct 2003 diagnosis of SRC was correct, I would not be alive today. A couple of doctors even insisted on doing their own pathology reports to prove me wrong. You see, SRC is the more aggressive of the colorectal cancers; and people diagnosed with it usually don't make a year. As for me, tomorrow will be the 7th year anniversary of when I went to the hospital complaining of severe abdominal pains. Needless to say, for the past 7 years more than one doctor has been stumped as to why I am still alive. It is also needless to say that we believe the reason is answered prayers, aligned with the Will of G-d, and for whatever reason, He has decided to keep me around. Just by staying alive for seven years, I, beat the standard prognosis.

In those 7 years I have had 5 surgeries related to cancer, been septic, had numerous rounds of chemo and 5 weeks of radiation, weeks of recovering from the surgeries, learning to deal with an ileostomy for 9 months, the side effects of the chemo and radiation, countless blood tests, and I can't even remember all of the CT/PET or just CT Scans. So while, yes, I have survived the cancer, it has not been an easy road, and I have the scars to prove it. Both emotionally and physically. Every scar I have is another reminder that I beat whatever this cancer could throw at me.

Let me take this opportunity to say that because of the success of those treatments, I have also had the opportunity to enjoy life. Roni and I have traveled twice to Israel with good friends for the Bar Mitzvah of each of our Rabbi's sons. We've been able to take vacations in Arizona (one of our favorite states), The Bahamas, Jamaica, the Florida Keys, Vermont, a week with Roni's and my parents in Virginia, a week long cruise in Alaska with my family, a week in the Wisconsin Dells with my family and just recently, two amazing weeks in Australia where I was able to reconnect with old friends and show Roni where I grew up during my high school years. And I celebrated my 50th birthday in New York with close friends. So, in continuing to enjoy life, I beat cancer.

I've also been able to help others who have been diagnosed with this disease through our on-line support group and through this blog, and please G-d, may they continue to help others even when I am no longer able to contribute to them. Which brings us to the reason for this post.

Yesterday, Roni and I met with my oncologist. The same person who just 2 weeks ago told us what our options were. She asked if I had made up my mind about what I would like to do. I had made my decision. After much thought and prayer, discussions with Roni, counsel from trusted sources, I had made the decision to forgo any further treatment and start with home hospice care. The doctor understood the decision, and explained how home hospice would work and how things would now progress.

Last night I spoke to my family to let them know of my decision. My sister asked if they gave me an expiration date  :-). With a chuckle, I said no. None of us really know how long I have. We believe that with people's prayers and G-d's intervention, I have already lived longer then any of the doctors have thought I likely would. I know people will continue to pray and we believe that G-d will take care of things in His timing. So we are going to leave those details in His hands.

As we were getting ready to leave the appointment yesterday, the doctor looked at me and said (I didn't have a tape recorder on me, so I'm paraphrasing here), "Don't think that this cancer beat you. You have lived longer than anyone would have thought. With all of the treatment you had, you had probably 80% of that time as good quality of life. And with all the people you have helped with your support group and blog, don't think for one minute the cancer has beaten you. In fact, You Beat This." I know that I didn't beat it alone. I had a "band of brothers" to fight beside me (I wrote about my team here), and we believe most of all, G-d fought for me.

Choosing hospice doesn't mean I'm laying down and giving up. I'm expanding my team to include the expertise of hospice care in order to achieve the best possible quality of life I can. We continue to pray for a miracle, and I plan to live each day enjoying life as much as possible. I want to spend time with family and friends. And I will continue to give my support where it is needed, my advice when it is asked for, and my wisdom for what it is worth. :-) That's why I won't be removing the phrase, "So far I'm winning" from the heading of this blog page. G-d is in control, not cancer, and that means that even if G-d does not perform that miracle, cancer still doesn't win!

13 comments:

  1. You have come a long way, Kevin.

    I am very proud of you.


    Laurie Todd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin -- As always, a very inspirational message. I understand the decision that you and Roni chose and hope it brings you both some peace. After analyzing all the choices and agonizing over what decision is right, acceptance of the right choice for you hopefully is bringing some peace. As for Hospice, they can be a wonderful companion to you both in providing medical care and pain relief.

    During Larry's first couple of months in Hospice care, he felt better than he had in years. He wasn't undergoing any treatment, had excellent pain management, and was able to make the most of each and every one of those days. I hope that you are able to find that same kind of peace after fighting such an incredible fight.

    My thoughts are with you both!

    Wendy R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin, you and Roni are the most courageous people I know. May you continue to grow with
    G-d and embrace His grace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin,
    Thank you for your words of wisdom, pain, reflection, and joy. Yes, your doctor spoke well: You Beat It, and you continue to inspire hope and thanksgiving for all of life's mysteries and miracles. Love to you and Roni.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Kevin, I agree with your wise doctor...you have been a shining light in what could have been a dark time. I am inspired...as always...after reading your post

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend, my bro....your words of hope and strength are truly inspiring and words cannot truly describe the emotions that are going thru me except to say you are both very amazing people and I am glad to know you and continue to give you whatever support I can to fight on and on and on. We have ridden those miles and will continue to do so... god bless both of you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kev & Roni: You don't know Steve or me, but you've provided a great deal of inspiration and knowledge. I know you're not giving up and we're certainly not for you. Blessings to you both - and wishes for QUALITY and QUANTITY of life for many years to come. -Regina & Steve in Bryson City, NC (Gateway to the Great Smokies)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admire you for your decision. I'm not so sure I could do it. I will pray for your miracle as I do for mine everyday! Take care and try to enjoy every day!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kevin, You and Roni are very special people. Your love, faith and smarts have taken you so far. You're an inspiration.
    Keep enjoying life.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kevin and Roni,

    This was really hard to beleive since we are going through the same thing and I pray so much that others don't have to face this. You have been and inspiration for us. We always talk about how well you are doing and the therapy's you are trying and if Kevin (who has Signet Ring Cell) is doing this well then we ALL have hope. Hospice has been amazing for us. Soroosh fought it at first (back in March) since he was determined he was going back to work. But now he is SO happy with everything and continues to enjoy each day. Being in Hospice does not mean your giving up. That is how we look at it now. At any point if Soroosh gets strong enough and a NEW therapy or trial starts we can discontinue services with them. Hospice has brought us peace and even hope. We love you both!

    Love and God Bless,

    Rosemary & Soroosh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kevin and Roni,

    I've been going through some personal challenges lately, so I've been AWOL from the Bellybutton club and just read this. Pretty amazing. No, none of us know when our time is up. So we may as well keep living. Thanks for that advice!

    Best,

    Sheboygan Dan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kevin and Roni
    Pain is a part of life,but misery is optional! Thank you both for showing us all how to live our lives! Carry on!
    Sheboygan Mark

    ReplyDelete