Sunday, October 10, 2010

Another Anniversary

We just passed another anniversary.

October 8th, 2003 - Seven years ago from the 8th, I went into the ER with severe abdominal pains. We ended up staying in the ER for about 16 hours, and that includes being moved to another hospital where my doctor at that time had admitting rights.

October 9th, 2003 - Seven years ago from that date, I had an emergency surgery for the severe abdominal pains. It was a three hour surgery and I woke up with an NG Tube, a temporary ileostomy and about a 10 inch scar running down my stomach, and what eventually became a fistula.

It would be a few more days before we were told I had cancer.

I still believe I shocked a few people when I walked out of that hospital, and even came back a few weeks laters. I'm sure there were some who believed that I would probably never leave that hospital alive.

Not only did I walk out of that hospital, I'm still alive, 7 years later with a lot of life lived during those years. I believe our goals should always be to prove the doctors wrong. :-)

3 comments:

  1. Kevin, Not sure why I'm getting posts tonite, maybe I needed a boost- (been off the group for quite awhile), but I'm SO glad to hear that you're doing well! I couldn't find the "twist" in the story, hope I didn't miss something. I miss all of you, still get personal mail from quite a few of the group and I'm glad of that. Please know that my prayers are with all of you every day even though I'm not participating in the group. I guess I needed a separation for a bit to try and put my own life back together. Love you all and my prayers are with every one of you! Love- Julie (of "Dan and Julie")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin,

    Thanks for taking the time to let me and all of us into your world. It means so much to Wendy and I to read about these things you are going through, and on some level experience them with you. You are such a clear and thoughtful writer. No matter how you might be feeling, the spirit that exudes from these posts is one of strength, sobriety, and courage.

    I greatly respect your decision to stop treatment. Please know that you are in our prayers and thoughts. Let us know if you need anything.

    With much love and respect,

    Billy and Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kev, you amaze me. Thank you for being you!

    Love Talya

    ReplyDelete