Monday, August 24, 2009

Some Good News

Just a quick note to let everyone know some good news.

I spoke to my oncologist today to get my results from the tumor markers he had done about a week ago.

Just to let you all know, I have two main markers taken, CEA and CA 19-9. The normal range for CEA is between 0 - 2.5. The normal range for CA 19-9 is 0 - 35.

Right before my surgery, my CEA was 48 and the CA 19-9 was over 200.

After having my spleen removed, my CEA is now 5.3 and CA 19-9 is 42!! Both still slightly high, but this is the lowest then have been (without any chemo) in about 2 years.

Seems like the spleen was a big part of the problem.

As for my recovery, I'm getting a little better every day. Still not sure what the next steps will be. My oncologist has reached out to another medical oncologist and to Dr. Loggie for their opinions. When I know what is going to happen next, I'll let you all know.

For now, I'll let my body continue to heal, work on getting my strength back, and worry about chemo later.

Kevin

8 comments:

  1. Great to read the news on the lower markers Kevin ... you & Roni must be thrilled!!
    That deserves some sort of celebration ... a cigar & drink on the balcony? A nice Harley ride?

    Woo Hoo,
    Aussie hugs,
    Kay :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good News Kevin!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news bro! Like completing a long distance trip..one mile at a time. You are doing it. Now if you need someone to wash, wax and test ride your bike..I have an extra space in my garage next to my '89. lol . Be well

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad things are looking up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kevin,
    That IS really good news!
    Our prayers and best wishes remain with you and Roni.
    Sincerely,
    Bob and Fran Hawkins

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a drop in your tumor markers! Great evidence that the surgery was necessary and successful! Praying for wisdom for the doctors as they determine the next steps, and continued strength and healing for you--Yay! :) Terri

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this sounds like great improvement, Kevin. Glad to hear some good news. Sounds like you have a good team involved, too. Will keep you and Roni in my prayers. kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heal now, worry later. Sounds good. Glad your tumor markers are going down. Regards to Roni and you both.
    ~Sandee~

    ReplyDelete