Monday, August 03, 2009

Doctor's Visit Update, and We Get to Go Home

Well, after another restless night of sleeping for a couple of hours, waking in pain, going to the bathroom, taking an oxycodone, then going back to sleep to start the process all over again, I finally got out of bed about 8 AM.

Roni was already up, and had already eaten breakfast. So while she was getting ready for the day, I went down to eat. I actually ate two slices of french toast, and had a half cup of Best Western coffee. One of the problems I've had in the recovery was getting my appetite back, but it is coming back, slowly but surely.

About 9:30 AM we headed to the doc's, thinking it might take awhile as I am walking much slower these days. But I did pretty well and we got there about 15 minutes early. The nurse came out and got me, took my vitals (all good), weighed me (about the same weight as a week before) and then it was only a matter of waiting for Dr. Loggie. He was in the middle of a consultation with a couple that we had actually met the night before, and spent a couple of hours with, just talking about having cancer. We were sure they getting smacked up the head with a very big reality stick, so wanted Dr. Loggie to take all the time he needed. In the meantime, the nurse gave us the initial pathology report and the surgical report to read. That's when we learned some very interesting (notice I didn't say "good"?) things.

We knew that the doctor had to leave some tumor, what we didn't know was that tumor contained signet ring cell. That is the most aggressive form of this cancer. We certainly weren't expecting that. This was the tumor that the doctor was able to see, but if he took it, it would require taking too much small bowel, which would mean a big decrease in quality of life. Fortunately, the doctor believes it is in such a place that it will not cause any problems for a long time.

Finally the doctor came in, and the first thing he asked is if I would be part of a research on signet ring cells in patients with colo-rectal/apendix cancer. He explained that they are learning some new things about how signet ring cells work, and how they are different in different patients. I think that because I had it before, and am still alive, he thinks my case is worth studying.

The other thing that we were hoping wasn't going to have to happen was more chemo. But it looks like since the tumor had invaded the spleen, and there was metastasis in a couple of lymph nodes (and because of the signet ring), it looks like chemo will be on the menu. We will discuss what would be the best regimen with my oncologist at home in a week or so.

The other disappointing part of the visit was that the drain they put in during surgery was still draining fluids, so they didn't pull that. It is difficult to take a shower with that, apart from the discomfort of having this tube sticking out of your stomach. Hopefully the fluid output will go down, and I can have it removed at my oncologist's office later this week.

So, that is the news for now. The cancer is still there, and again, the trick is not to let it take over our lives. We still have some uncertainty about what our future looks like. We have some disappointments, but we also plan on having some fun too. We plan on having some adventures, and good times with friends and family. We just need to learn how to treat the cancer, and still live life.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't get the news you were hoping for my friend! You are both in my prayers everyday! Have a safe trip home!!!

    Hugs xxx

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts are with you bro. We will take an adventure together..dont know where or when...but we will. Hugs to you both. Peace...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate drains, Kevin! Hope it comes out by the end of the week. Great that you are taking part in research that could help others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the reminder, Kev. Treat the cancer and still live life. Today I have first surgical oncology visit with Dr. Silva. (He did practice with Dr. Loggie.) He focuses on breast cancer. Anyway, I needed your post, your upbeat attitude, you and Roni in my life. Loving you both and thanking you for the hugs, Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Roni, just so you don't think we've forgotten you. We love you too girl. The caregiver side of this is as rough and sometimes worse but we are there because God said our partners need us more than ever. I bet Kevin knows what's important and I bet he'll never give up the fight as long as you and God are by his side.
    I know that Pat and I will continue to remember you in our prayers as we do all of the group. It may sound bad but we are all special. God has us hanging around for a reason and when the time is right he lets us know SOME of his plans.
    Kevin you hang in there big guy. You WILL get better. Hopefully your case will even provide many answers and hey who knows maybe God willing a cure. You ARE important Kevin and when you egt that post-op depression day just please remember that you are not alone. We are here for you and so is our Lord.
    God Bless,
    Pat & Ray

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kevin & Roni, We don't know what the future holds, but, we do know WHO holds the future!!! Hang in there, I know it gets hard a lot of times, but life is hard a lot of times too - take care, I wish you a speedy recovery - I know chemo is bad, but it is also good in a way - praying for you both, Judy in NC (I keep telling you to come on down to NC - you'll love this place!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome Home Kevin!!! Here's to more rockin' Harley adventures after you recover!!!

    Hugs to you both!!!

    P.S. We need to talk about this Iphone businesss.....I know you have one and I need your imput....I'm seriously considering one.....hit me back on my email when you can...Lynda72@charter.net I LOVE this phone (from what I've seen) but want to make sure I'm making the right decision...do you like yours, etc???

    Hugs and welcome home again!!!
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Kevin and Roni... I hope this finds you at home and that you are recovering as well as possible. I am a friend of your parents, Kevin. I love them dearly and because of that I love you guys, too. Thanks for sharing your story so that we can pray for you and watch as the Almighty works His wonders in your life. May He continue to bless you richly
    as He works on your behalf.
    Cheryl Jongeneel, cherjo2salem@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds like some good and some bad but it doesn't ever seem to get you down. i love the positive attitude. i am certain our mental frame of mind affects our physical. you are in our prayers. keep planning those adventures. it gives you something to look forward to. we have been apart too long cousin! same goes for you Kat & Kent! God be with you & Roni. Love Dwayne & kids!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopefully by now you have made it home safe and sound. We know the power of a couple of nights sleep in your own bed. Keep up the PMA, and keep up the fight. You are in our prayers.

    ~Kira Nicole

    ReplyDelete