Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Post Op - Day 14

Two weeks ago, I was on the operating table having my spleen removed.

One week ago, we left Omaha, NE to come home.

As you know from previous posts, it was a fairly quick hospital recovery. The trip home was, thankfully, uneventful.

The past week has been one of resting, healing and generally taking things easy.

Yesterday, I had the drain pulled (finally). And thanks to Dr. Gruenberg for that. I must admit, I was very scared about the pain. I have had drains pulled before, and to say it hurt like the dickens, would be an understatement. I was all prepared for the pain, but amazingly, the drain was pulled before I was even aware of it. No pain whatsoever.

So what's next? I need to call my oncologist to discuss the use of more chemo. After we talk to him, I'll post to let you all know what we decide.

Until then, I continue to take things easy, and continue to let my body heal from the surgery.

I would like to thank all of you again for the support, love and prayers. The emails, cards, comments have all been wonderful. Words can never express how much all of those mean to us.

With love and gratitude,

Kevin

6 comments:

  1. We are with you all the way. All you can do is take it one step at a time.
    Rest, heal and I will be waiting to take that ride with you. Love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kevin,
    I've been keeping up with your recovery via your posts. You had me pretty worried on post-op day 3 when your oxygen saturation was low and you were sleeping all the time. But you rallied and got discharged in record time. It's good to hear that your drain is out and it was painless.
    I was hoping to meet you in Omaha but the timing just didn't work. The two days that we overlapped, you were busy with a bowel prep and then surgery. I am glad I was able to meet your lovely wife.
    My nephew, Tom, gets his first set of post-op tumor markers this week. In three months, he'll have 3sets of tumor markers and a CT scan and then back to Omaha to see Dr. Loggie to figure out the next step.
    You are in my prayers (and in the prayers of various family members throught the US).
    Rosemary Stinneford

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I had the two drains pulled out following my recent operation, it was like having teeth pulled out! It was just horrible. Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home, Kevin! I hope you heal quickly.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Kevin! Glad to see you are on the mend.
    Hugs,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kevin,

    You continue to be in my prayers my friend!!! You are such an inspiration to me!!!

    Hugs to you and Roni!!!

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete