Monday, September 28, 2009

Questions on Yom Kippur 5770

For the last couple of years I have been asking G-d the same questions. Why did I have to get cancer? Why me? Those questions can also be translated to "What did I do to deserve this?"

Intellectually I know the answers, yet I still continued to ask. The answer is the same for all these types of questions, and it is the same answer all the time. "It just is."

I didn't do anything to deserve cancer. It just happened. There is no great cosmic conspiracy. This is not some form of godly punishment. It's just that we live in an imperfect world. Good things happen to bad people, and bad things happen to good people.

So today, on Yom Kippur, it is time to change the questions. Instead of why did this happen to me, I want to start asking, "What can I do with my situation to help others?" "How can I take a crappy situation and turn it to good?"

My prayer for today, and going forward is, G-d help me to ask the right questions. The questions who answers have the ability to change lives. Mine and others.

Amen.

1 comment: