Monday, September 28, 2009

Elke

Yep, we got a dog.

Her name is Elke (fem form of Elkanah, which means "purchased by G-d"). She is a poodle mix (not sure what else, perhaps Bishon).

She is a rescue and was neglected.

For the most part, she is a great dog. Still a few issues with getting too excited, but we're working on that.

She has been good for me to help me get out of the apartment and go for walks, and to help me get out of this funk I have been in. Recovering from surgery, not having a job, etc., isn't necessarily good for the soul, but having a dog is.

And I'm starting to learn some lessons about being calm when things aren't going my way (i.e. when Elke wants to go one way, and I want her to go another). I know that getting angry with her does no good. Yelling at her does no good (I'm pretty sure she doesn't understand 99% of what I say). Being calm, and being the pack leader is what is needed (hat tip to Ceaser).

I'll be sure to post other lessons I learn as time goes on. Till then, this is Kevin, Roni and Elke siging off...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kev,
    Cute. She looks like a character. Catching up on your blog. I'm praying for the best new at your appointment.
    Carrie, Motorcycles

    ReplyDelete