Saturday, December 06, 2003

Chemo Started

I have finally started my chemo treatment, and we are in the process of getting our documents to Dr. Sugarbaker.

On Tuesday, Dec 2nd, we met again with my oncologist, Dr. Ratner. He explained to us what was found on my CT/PET scan and suggested a chemotherapy regiment of Xeloda and Oxaliplatin (you can find out more about these drugs by clicking on their links). The Xeloda is an oral drug, taken twice a day for 14 days, then 7 days off. The Oxaliplatin is taken via IV once a day, every three weeks. I have already started the Xeloda (3 and a half days so far) with no side effects (thanks to G-d). Once I complete my first cycle of Xeloda, i will start on the Oxaliplatin.

On another front, we are trying to get everything we need to Dr. Paul Sugarbaker in Washington DC to see if he will take me on as a patient. This is the doctor who treats my form of cancer with surgery and heated chemo. It will require a lengthly surgery and hospital stay, but once it's done, all the cancer should be gone.

We sent everything to him this week, but found out that the CT/PET scan I had done a couple of weeks ago will not suffice for what Dr. Sugarbaker needs. This means that I will have to schedule another CT scan (mmm.. more barrium), and the get the results to him as soon as possible. Please pray that we can get this done soon.

If you want more info on Dr. Sugarbaker, you can find it here.

The hospital he works out of is Washington Hospital Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment