Monday, December 22, 2003

Another CT Scan and an Appt

My third CT Scan, and a call from Dr. Sugarbaker's office...

Last Monday, I had my third CT scan in less than 11 weeks. The reason for this one is because the CT/PET scan I had a month or so ago was not what Dr. Sugarbaker needs, so I had to have another CT scan. This time with a lot more barium. (Yes, I am beginning to hate barium).

I made sure to leave with the films from the scan so I could send them to Dr. Sugarbaker the same day with the hopes of hearing from the doctor's office by Wednesday. I called on Wednesday to make sure they had the films and to tell them I would be faxing the report to them as well. Ilsa (Dr. Sugarbaker's wife and the office manager) informed me they did have the films and might be able to get back to us later that day, or Friday at the latest.

Wednesday came and went with no call, so we were hoping to hear something by Friday.

Friday afternoon, Roni called me and said that Ilsa called and told her that Dr. Sugarbaker said I was a good candidate for his treatment (hooray!). We were also told that we will probably be meeting for a consultation late Jan. with a surgery date after that. Ilsa said that because my lymph nodes tested positive, that Dr. Sugarbaker did want me to do some rounds of chemo before the surgery, so depending on how many rounds, the surgery could be anywhere from the beginning of March to the middle of April. Since Ilsa was swamped with work, she was not able to set up an appt. on Friday and that we would need to call back to schedule one.

So we finally got in touch with her today and scheduled an appointment with Dr. Sugarbaker for Jan 5th, at 2:30PM. That gives us two weeks to get all of our questions together.

Right now, I am very excited about this, but know as the date for the surgery draws near, that excitement will turn to trepidation and fear. I just have to look past that and know that a couple of months after the surgery, I'll be better than new.

For those who are praying, here is a list:

1) Pray for the right timing for the surgery
2) Pray that the ileostomy will be able to be reversed during the surgery
3) Pray for wisdom and steady hands for Dr. Sugarbaker and his team
4) Pray that our insurance will cover everything, without a fight.
5) Pray for Roni's work situation, that nothing that she is offered will interfere with the surgery and recovery period.

I am sure there are more, but that's a good start.

We'll try to keep the blog more up-to-date, especially as things seem to be moving much faster now.

Thank you again to everyone for your prayers, love and concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment