Sunday, July 26, 2009

Preparing For The Next Battle

So, everyone knows that I am going in for my 4th surgery to deal with my cancer, and if you didn’t know, you do now.


Today, Roni and I are flying to Omaha, and Monday, I check into the hospital. I’ll do the obligatory “pre-admission” testing, and hopefully no CT scan. Then in the afternoon start the “bowel prep”. Yes, that is as bad as it sounds. :-)


Tuesday morning, they’ll come get me, hook me up to an IV, wheel me into the OR and put me to sleep. This will be the hard part for Roni. Waiting.


The doctor believes there are two spots he can get easily, and two others he says he will try to get if there is not too much scar tissue. The amount of scar tissue will also determine if he uses heated chemo during the surgery.


What we are praying for, is that the doctor is able to get all of the tumor. That the recovery will be quick, and uneventful. That Roni will be able to get much needed rest, while at the same time, being able to keep an eye on me. And that in less than 2 weeks, we’ll be on our way home.


Roni will keep you all updated on my progress until I am able to take over.


To close on a personal note, I can’t help but remember my hospital buddy from my last two surgeries in Washington DC. Her name was Alice Hyland, and she was diagnosed with the same cancer I have. She had her MOAS just a day or so later then I did. She was back in the hospital in July 2004, for a follow-up surgery, just a week after I had mine.


I remember her parents visiting me every day, just to check in and see how I was doing. I remember sitting in her room, chatting. I remember walking the halls together, dragging our IV poles with us.


I remember finding out she passed away about two years ago. She was only 29 years old.


I told my wife that I would continue fighting. I’m fighting for Roni. For my family. For my friends. For my fellow PMP patients. And I’m fighting for the memory of those whose battle is over.


Please keep us all in your prayers.


Thank you,


Kevin

9 comments:

  1. You're in my thoughts and prayers, Kevin. Looking forward to hearing of the successful outcome and wishing you a quick and uneventful full recovery!

    Snapper Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kevin for being real to all cancer survivors, fighters and families.

    You have helped many face the challenges and as you face this surgery, we are thankful.

    Kat and husband

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin,
    Thanks for those wonderful sentiments. We think of you every day, especially in light of the upcoming surgery. You are going to do great. Know that you are in great hands in Omaha and that you are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Hugs to you and Roni,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless and keep you Kevin. I don't envy you the nuclear-powered bowel cleaning medicine!

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Roni are in our thoughts. We're hoping for a successful surgery and a quick recovery for you!

    Wendy and Larry R.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers sent your way Kevin.
    Carrie Swanson

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kevin & Roni,
    My nephew has been discharged from Creighton and we will be in Omaha until Tuesday. If Roni plans to spend any nights in your hospital room, I have an inflatable mattress(twin)I would like to give you. I can bring it to either your hotel or Creighton. Just let me know.
    Rosemary Stinneford

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Friend,
    You are not fighting alone. To the extent to which our prayers are effective, they will be with you daily over this next season. We love you both very much and are looking forward to your return to the city and Beth El.

    In Him,

    Billy and Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are both in my prayers!!! I am praying that by now you are in recovery receiving HEAPS of good drugs!!!!

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete