Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Post Op Day 1 -- NG Tube Already Out!!

They pulled the NG (naso-gastric) tube out at about 10:00 this morning. Yippeeeeeee!! That thing has always been the worst part of recovery for Kevin. Gives him a horrible sore throat, which he can't sooth with liquid or lozenges since he's not allowed anything in his stomach yet.

They discontinued the shots they were giving him for pain and hooked him up with an IV that dispenses happy-feel-good dope at the push of a button.

Saw Dr. L on rounds. I mistook what he told me yesterday about the tumor markers. They won't tell us anything useful for a couple of weeks.

Kevin didn't sleep much last night and up until now, hasn't been able to rest this morning with all the activity -- early rounds, regular rounds, hooking up pain meds, antibiotics, fluids, electrolytes, etc. to the central line they put in during surgery and taking out the IV lines in his arms. But the last of the "fussing" ended about 25 minutes ago. Within 10 minutes of the last nurse leaving, Kevin was already lightly snoring -- a sound that makes me happy.

He's started reading the emails and facebook comments already and is grateful for all the expressions of love and friendship. I am so blown away by all the special people in our lives, especially you fellow PMPers -- your words of support have bouyed us up so much.

And thanks to my Beth El sistas who have called even though I couldn't really talk. Just hearing the voices makes it less lonely.

The love and support of our family and Rabbi Bruce are priceless.

When Kevin wakes up, it'll be time to get him on his feet and take a little walk; literally taking steps to getting him out of here.

That's the news for today. Keep those prayers and emails coming. Just don't mention food. I think he's dreaming of pizza. :-)

Roni

8 comments:

  1. Kevin and Roni,
    Fran and I are relieved and pleased to hear the good news. Hope everything continues to go well, that the prognosis will be favorable, and that you will be back home again soon.
    Our prayers and thoughts are with you throughout this challenging journey.
    Best always,
    Bob (in South Carolina)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, congratulations on getting the tube out! How the heck did you convince them to do that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin & Roni,
    So glad to hear the NG tube is out. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. A special prayer for Kevin to get some sleep.
    Rosemary Stinneford

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry and I are SOOO happy to hear that your surgery was such a success. It sounds like you set a record for the quickest NG tube removal yet. I believe it was the words of Jay who said "I don't need no stinkin' spleen!". Wishing you both some rest and a quick recuperation for you, Kevin!

    Warmest regards,
    Wendy and Larry R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear the good news. Kevin is quite the stud! Is he dreaming of pizza or Sammy's?

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kevin!!! Congrats on ditching the NG tube---they totally SUCK!!! :( It is great to hear that you are doing so well!!! You both continue to be in my prayers!

    Oh, and guess what? I might be getting a phone that allows me to do MY FAVORITE THING.......FACEBOOK WITH NO VIRUSES!!!! YAHOOOOO!!!! I'm seriously considering it....I am sooooo bored w/out it...grrrr!!!

    Anyhow. Get up and start walking so you can get out of there soon and be in the comfort of your own home once again!!!! (Just make sure to enjoy the dope while you have it though!! LOL).....

    You are doing great!! Keep up the wonderful job, both of you!!!

    Your friend!

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am praying that post-op day #2 goes well and finds you running laps around the nurse's station :)

    You are both in my prayers!!!!

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's now Thursday. Roni, your note of docs and techs and all those other people coming and and out, makes me tired just reading the list. Especially when I know they all say, "What's your name? Can you tell me your dob?" Tiresome, but necessary. We must be glad the staff are thorough. Hugs to you both and many prayers, kat and husband

    ReplyDelete