Friday, January 21, 2005

Test Results - So Far, So Good

For those who have been wondering how my blood test and CT scan went, here are the results.

Blood Test
First of all, the test done in the Dr.'s office is for red and white blood cells, plateletts and hemoglobins. They all tested fine. Second, the test sent out for tumor markers also came back good. They were both a little higher than last time, but still within the safe limits.

CEA - 2.5 (range is 0 - 2.5) Last test it was 2.3. Before my surgery in Feb it was 4.1.
CA 19-9 - 17 (range is 0 - 37) Last test it was 12. Before my surgery in Feb it was 31.6.

I asked my oncologist if we should be concerned that the CEA was at the top end of the safe zone. He said we'll take another test in 6 weeks (instead of the usual 3 months) to see which way they go. It is not unusual for the results to flucuate, and since I have only had two since my surgery, it is really not enough to see a pattern.

CT Scan
I had the CT scan Wed morning. First of all, they gave me another type of "contrast" to drink. I usually have to drink barium, but this time they gave me a different type, mixed in white cranberry juice. Much easier to get down. And once again, Sal, my riding buddy from NYC HOG did the scanning.
I spoke to my oncologist yesterday, after he received the report and he said it was a good one. He said that there are some "cystic lesions" but nothing to worry about for now. Everything else looked good.

Things look good and I'm off the hook for another 6 months.

On another note, I am starting to feel better throughout the day. My trips to the "loo" average about 5-6 a day, but most of the time I feel pretty good. I am also getting to the gym about 2 times a week, and am working on making it about 3 times a week.

Donations
Don't forget, Roni and I are seeking donations to help raise money for cancer research. We will be going to Tucson, AZ in March to take part of "Tucson Climb to Conquer Cancer". You can donate on my page here. Or on Roni's page here.

Please help us reach our goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment