Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Macrobeads

Yesterday, Roni and I went to see another oncologist to get a second opinion about doing more chemo. She pretty much told us what we expected to hear, that it was up to me when to start. There were benefits to starting before symptoms appear, but that there was no need to start right away. She also concurred that the chemo regimen that Dr. Loggie and Dr. Ratner suggested was the right way to go.

Then, she gave us another suggestion that sounded worthwhile to explore. There is a clinical trial being done by The Rogosin Institute where macrobeads containing mouse kidney cancer cells are implanted into the abdominal cavity as a biological treatment. They are implanted during an laproscopic surgical procedure, so the recovery shouldn't be that bad. The good thing is that since this is NOT chemo, there are no side major side effects. The only side effect that she mentioned was an elevated temperature because your body is working harder to fight off the foreign objects.

You can read more about the trial here:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00283075

I have to make an appointment to meet with the doctor doing the study to find out if I'm a candidate, but if I am, it's certainly something worth considering. When I know more, I'll let you know.

Until then, Roni and I continue to get excited about and plan for our two weeks vacation in Australia. And no, I am not going to eat any Vegemite.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! Can we call you Mickey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arh!! Come on Kev. When you are feeling sick, vegitmite on toast and a hot cup of tea, is one on the best thing to make you feel better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good to me, apart from the vegemite ban.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds VERY interesting indeed Kev ... I will look forward to the followup blog after the appointment with the doc doing the study.

    You mean you lived in Australia and didn't develop a taste for vegemite?? WOAH! What's up with that? LOL!!

    I guess we are weaned onto vegemite ... I know I used to add it to the veggies when feeding my babies their first solid food!! Great appetite stimulant and good for you too.... yum yum yum ...

    Of course you do have to learn to spread it sparingly ...

    Ok closing off now ... going to make a hot cuppa and some vegemite on toast!!
    Aussie hugs,
    Kay xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with that, if that is the direction you choose to go, you are a far braver person than I think I could ever be. Enjoy your trip, hope to hear positive results from you soon.

    Best in life,

    Brad and Kira

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kevin

    Can't believe you will be here so soon. Sorry I haven't contacted earlier.
    Hope to see you in Brisbane.

    My contacts are

    07 32638249
    cell phone 0402416970
    17 Furley Street
    Aspley

    Safe travels! Coralee Lawrence (nee Champion)

    ReplyDelete