Monday, December 20, 2010

Kevin is at peace

At  5:00 a.m. ET on December 10, 2010, Kevin Kersey, my husband, partner, hero and best friend for nearly 19 years, was released from his 7-year battle with cancer. He is now at rest and cancer-free. His passing was peaceful and with minimal pain with me at his side, attended by the most loving of friends. Extraordinary peace was evident to all who witnessed his final days and hours. Kevin's final words were to tell me "I love you," and his last action was to lift his arms towards Heaven.

Funeral services were held Monday, Dec. 13, 2010. The eulogies from Kevin's funeral service, as well as the song that Kevin chose to be sung were recorded and loaded onto Beth El's Website. The recording can be downloaded from here: 
http://bethelnyc.org/category/sermons

Kevin requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to any of the following charitable organziations to which he was dedicated:

Congregation Beth El of Manhattan
www.bethelnyc.org

The Patients' Fund for Creighton University/Brian W. Loggie, M.D. PMP Cancer Research
Go to http://www.creighton.edu/development/makegiftonline/index.php  Choose "Outright Gift"   On the next page fill in the starred fields. Under Gift Designation check "Other Designation" & fill in "PMP Patient's Fund - Dr. Brian Loggie". Under Special Gift Instructions fill in "In memory of Kevin Kersey". On next page under affiliation choose "Friend/Donor" and complete information.

Jewish National Fund
www.jnf.org



May Kevin's memory and legacy continue as a blessing in the earth. I will do my best to continue to use this blog as he did -- to inspire courage, faith, grace and hope in the face of adversity. I had the very best example...


Love,


Roni

3 comments:

  1. Dear Roni,
    I only recently discovered this blog, but have found it incredibly moving. I was diagnosed a year ago with PMP and had the MOAS in January. Obviously, no one of us knows what the future holds, but Kevin's last entry has given me a model for a grace-filled, peaceful death. Thank you for sharing your lives with us.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the early stages of my own cancer (from which I am now 5 years clear) Kevin was very helpful and supportive by email. I shall never forget him.

    God bless

    Simon x

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my father was diagnosed years ago, our family was terrified. Kevin and you were such a wonderful help to us. Dad is now five years cancer free, but without your and Kevin's help we wouldn't have found the proper treatment. It had been a couple of years since I'd checked in on the email list or Caring Bridge, and I was sad to find that Kevin had passed. I'll never forget the support you both gave our family.

    Thank you so much.
    Christi

    ReplyDelete