Saturday, November 21, 2009

Radiation, Chemo and Another Surgery

Just a quick update. I have talked to my oncologist and a radiation oncologist, and have decided to go for the radiation and chemo treatment, followed by another surgery.

Barring a miracle, this is really my only shot to beat this once and for all.

I go in for a planning session on Dec 1st. I'll get a CT scan, sans contrast (yippee), and tattooed where I am going to get hit with the radiation.

The treatments will be 5 days a week, for 5 weeks. As we are going to OR for a week to see my family during the Christmas holidays, I won't be able to start the radiation until we get back. So my first day of radiation will be Jan 5th (the doctor who will be doing the radiation does not work on Mondays). This means I should be finished the first week of Feb.

I will also be taking Xeloda, an oral form of 5FU chemo. I have taken this before and it is fairly tolerable. This time I will only be taking it the days I get radiation, so that might make it a bit easier. Other times I took it for 2 weeks straight, then had a week off. Oh, and this time I will also be taking a lower dose.

I am hoping that 6 to 7 weeks after the radiation, providing it did what we are hoping it does, I will go in for what we are praying will be my 5th and last surgery to remove the tumors.

One thing I learned from watching movies made in the 50s and 60s, is that getting hit with radiation can make you bigger and stronger. I'm hoping that's the case with me. :-)

As things proceed, we'll keep you updated.

Kevin The Roentgenizer

6 comments:

  1. How cool for you! ;)
    http://exclamationmark.wordpress.com/2006/08/30/the-amazing-colossal-man-1957/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the plan is in place. Wish I were traveling to Oregon with you. Sounds like fun. Enjoy.

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are in my prayers as you take on this new treatment plan!! Have fun visiting your family!!

    your friend,

    Lynda :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping you get superpowers. Sheboygan Dan (from the bellybuttons site) Best of luck....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Continuing to keep you in prayer Kev

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are moving forward! That's good! Maybe I'll search you out in OR for a Pacific Northwest hug!

    Jay, you are amazing...great link for Kev!

    ReplyDelete