Friday, January 16, 2009

Chemo Update - Halfway Point

Today is about my halfway point through my chemo treatment. So far I have had three infusions of Oxiliplatin and two round of oral Xeloda.

The bad news is the side effects. The Xeloda just makes me tired, but the Oxiliplatin is harsh. Right after the infusion, the neuropothy gets pretty bad. The main thing is the pain the cold causes. Eventually the side effects start to wane, but it takes awhile. As a matter of fact, it takes about 8 to 10 days before I can even start to drink anything that is cold.

The good news is that the chemo seems to be working. In December, my CEA tumor marker jumped up to 28.9 (should be between 0 - 2.5). That is a bit of jump from even a a few months ago when it was 10. Fortunately, after just two rounds of Oxiliplatin, that number dropped to 19.8. On Monday when I go in for my fourth infusion, we will have another blood test taken which will show what the new number is after 3 rounds of Oxiliplatin. (The blood test is taken before the infusion, so it only shows the results from the infusion two weeks before).

One of the difficulties I have had is getting some exercise. Because of the cold weather we have been experiencing here in NYC, I can not go outside for a walk. So, I am stuck inside. Because of this, and to help us have easier access to some exercise machines, we got a good deal from Bowflex which included a weight training machine and a Schwinn stationary bike. The bike includes the ability to electronically measure time, distance, calories burned, etc. Over the past week I have been able to set up these machines and yesterday even took a couple of 10 minutes "rides" on the bike. That was enough to wear me out, but that makes sense as I have not been getting ANY exercise for the past month or so. Hopefully this will help keep me in shape and ready to get back to "Life" after the chemo is done.

That is my update for now. Thank you all again for your prayers, thoughts, and support.

Kevin

2 comments:

  1. You're incredible Kevin! Anyone else would be complaining like mad. I think you must have a bit of Aussie in you, you're so tough. The prayers will continue!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I did live in Queensland for 5 years. Maybe some of it stuck. :-)

    ReplyDelete