Thursday, July 08, 2004

2 Days Post Up - Holding Steady

Yesterday Kevin sat up in a chair for more than an hour and a half (he was determined to do more than the one hour minimum doctors ordered). He nodded off a lot, but he stayed up! Getting out of and back into bed is a big acheivement. He hasn't gotten up yet today. Probably will do that when I get back to the room; we'll see if he can walk a bit.
He's being an excellent patient, and his nurses love him. What's not to love?

Kevin looks fabulous! I first time I saw him after surgery was at about 10:00 p.m. Tues. night. He looked healthy except for edema, and of course the tubes. His coloring is great. You should have seen the smile on his puffy face when I first saw him after the surgery and told him the ostomy reversal had gone beautifully! Wish I'd taken a picure!

He's very coherent when he's fully awake. He's experiencing more discomfort than pain, except for the very sore throat from the NG tube, making talking difficult. He's also exhausted, from a combination of: sedation from the pain meds; waking often; and what his body has been through. His vital signs have been within normal range and are fairly stable.

Kevin's digestive system seems to be working ahead of schedule, but I'll wait to report on that when I've had a chance to talk to the Drs. about it on next morning rounds. Otherwise, the most eventful thing so far was the migraine I suffered last night--think it was triggered by poor air quality. I went outside in the morning for "fresh" air. I should have realized when I could actually see the air that it wasn't so fresh. Thank you Beth El (my synagogue) for your prayers at last night's meeting. Headache is very much under control and I'm fully functional again. Once again, grateful my parents were here. Dad stayed with Kevin last night while I recovered at the hotel with Mom bringing me cold water and ginger ale.

As always, grateful for your support and prayers,

Roni

No comments:

Post a Comment