Thursday, June 10, 2004

Rolling Thunder

During the Memorial Day weekend, Roni and I rode to Washington DC to take part in an annual event called Rolling Thunder. The last time we were in DC was for my Mother Of All Surgeries in Feb '04. This time was much better.

Rolling Thunder is an event to remember the POWs and MIAs from Viet Nam and other wars. It has also become a time to honor all military personnel, both active duty and vets.

We rode down on Friday with 6 others from my HOG (Harley Owners Group) chapter and had a great time. The riding was good and the company first rate.

Sunday was the Rolling Thunder parade. We assembled at the Pentagon parking lot. We arrive shortly before 7AM and there were already thousands of bikes there. By the time the parade started at 12 noon, there was an estimated 500,000 bikes. You read that right. Almost a half million motorcycles. For me, the parade is the highlight of the trip. Riding through DC with thousands of people waving, cheering and honoring the military is a great feeling. And to be part of it, is both humbling and an honor.

On Sunday, Roni and I also were able to meet up with my dad and brother who were there to see the WWII Memorial. My father is a WWII vet, serving in the South Pacific in the Navy. It was a very special time for him and I was glad to be able to share that time with him. Personally, I feel the WWII Memorial is way too late. It should have been built years ago. But that is one thing I admire about that generation, they never needed recognition, they just did what they had to and wanted to get back to their lives. I have the utmost respect for them all. And to have my father part of that great generation is an honor.

This reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw, "If you can read, thank a teacher. If you can read English, thank a vet."

So, to the Vets and Active Duty of the US Military, I salute you.

To view the pictures that were taken, visit these links:

Rolling Thunder
WWII Memorial

No comments:

Post a Comment